Career Weak

I was looking for work and spent a week collecting signatures on a Colorado ballot initiative. It was a way to change the world AND bring home pocket change so I’d have money when the world changed. It seemed win/win to me. I stood outside super markets with my clipboard and people walked the other way, looked the other way, had fake cell phone conversations and didn’t seem to enjoy being around me. I wore different color shirts, different baseball caps, and even went to different super markets….just to test my theory that it was ME they were avoiding.

I didn’t get some people. Why would shoppers be concerned with melting ice cream when I was trying to bring about harmonic convergence AND gain pocket change? I mean, I’d studied some of these ballot initiatives for a good 7 minutes before hitting the street. Did these people think I was lacking in knowledge? I was well versed on oil drilling, corporate fraud, and whatever that other one was that I put before them. I had nice pens, a pleasant smile and was invariably fresh smelling.

Well, I lasted a week. Those shoppers won’t have Bryon Butler to avoid any more! I made a week's worth of pocket change that I'm trying to spend, if those clipboarders would leave me alone.

Comments

robsv said…
Hey, *I* would have signed your petition!
- Roberto
Janine said…
I might have signed too. But only because you promised not to smell bad.
Janine

Popular Posts