Usually when I “rap” it’s because I have a gift to deliver.  And then, I always add a “w”.  Grammar, you know.
Recently two rappers spent a week at the Alliance Academy for its yearly spiritual emphasis week.  While the onstage rhyming and dancing of Zae Blacksmith and Stephen the Levite didn’t “move” every student who attended the daily chapel services, their open, honest messages and question and answer times did. 
I teach all the juniors and seniors at the Academy.  Recently I talked with the senior class chaplain and she mentioned that, in her opinion, a third of the seniors are Christians, a third are open to it and a third are not.  This compares well with a recent talk I had with the school chaplain, who said that in the past eight years (that is, during the transition from a Christian school for missionary children to a Christian school for the community) he’s seen his ministry change from being one for believers to one of thoughtfully sharing his faith with the interested.
And this brings us back to Stephen and Zae. They came to express the Gospel to many students, some of whom are on the cusp of graduating and moving on in a few weeks. It is my hope as their Christian teacher that they’ll not only receive a good education, but will see Christ through the caring attention of word and deed that we strive to give at the Alliance Academy.
I ended the week with an hour long private talk with the rappers. They are black, I’m white. I’m about 12-15 years old than they are. They live in what they call a “grimy” section of Philadelphia while I’m transplanted here in Quito.  They are both new fathers, while my oldest, Elizabeth, is 16.  In spite of the myriad of differences, we talked openly of faith, hope, dreams, and realities. All this was “(w)rapped” in a Gospel that gives life to those who receive it.
Thank you for helping us remain here to try and make a difference!
Sincerely,
Bryon for the Butlers


Comments

Popular Posts